Saturday, January 7, 2012

Combating the Lie of "I can't afford to buy healthy food!"

As a teacher, I see the whole childhood obesity epidemic first hand.  It is a problem, a big problem...and honestly, I am probably contributing to it with occasional candy and treats to my students and plenty of sugar is being consumed in our house.  However, I believe there is a problem and I attempt to feed my children a moderate diet that includes as much "good for you" stuff I can afford (and they are willing to eat!). They also lots of sugar, white flour; typical American diet stuff.  When I go to the store, I am sticking to a budget but that "budget" cannot be at the expense of my family's health. I find that bananas, bags of apples, nuts, raisins, applesauce, and beans are always inexpensive choices, and they are good for us too!  Processed foods many of of buy cost  much more than many whole foods!  I think people who say they would buy healthy food but it costs too much are lying to themselves.   Ok, I get that if you buy all organic foods, shop at Whole Foods, gluten free, ect., YES, your grocery bill will be HUGE.  What people need to realize is you don't need to do THAT to feed your children well (and if you can afford it and that lifestyle is important to you, WONDERFUL, I am just not in that position).  This is what I overheard today shopping at Sam's Club: two overweight children (ages around 9 or 10?), "Yum! Clementines! We love these! Can we buy them?"  I don't hear the overweight  mother's response (honestly, at the moment they asked I was thinking about which produce I would be buying for my family....) but I see the family as  I approach the checkout.  In their cart is a huge pizza (Sam's Club) and a big box of crab cakes (what is the nutritional info on these? awful, fried for sure).  The Clementines were $5.48 for a 5 lb. crate (GREAT price) yet they are not in the cart.  I know I am not supposed to judge other people, and I don't know what the mother said (I hope it was, "We already have a 5lb box of clementines at home. I bought them yesterday!"  and the kids say, "Yay!") but I want to be the  kind of mother who says, "Yes!" when my kids ask for healthy foods, and if I can't afford what they picked out (sorry, not going to spend $3.99 in a bitty box of berries) I can offer them an alternative at a price that works within my budget.  I'd love to see some comments on nutritious food for our families that every wallet can afford. Thanks for reading!!

3 comments:

  1. I think this comment on the Breakfast for Dinner post from the other day is very fitting, so I copied and posted what my (sister in law, in law) does to help her family of five with groceries. She mentions in the post, she is a stay at home mom who homeschools her three children. Amazing, it is very hard to live on one income! I am very proud of all of you and your family! Thank you for sharing!!!

    Jaime-Renea Schuessler said...
    Having laying chickens we have breakfast almost any meal--smile. Chilizo and eggs with corn tortillas and hominy and oranges is a very cheap meal too, a meal we have for supper!

    Also skillet breakfast with fried potatoes sausage and eggs. Cook seperatly then combine in a stir fry fashion and top with cheese and serve w/salsa

    We like pancakes and eggs too for supper--and the fact that you can make so many to freeze for later is great (btw my 8 yr old can fix pancakes on our electric skillet---so teach those young 'ens! What a blessing they are to us! And what child doesnt like to feel useful!)

    Fried Egg sandwiches , egg salad sand, tuna salad with boiled egg chopped in, sandwiches or on a salad are all good and healthy--and cheap! We even make ramon and crack an egg into it and zap it in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes. These are lunch choices.

    Being a one income family can sure bring out the creative side in ya! Eggs are a wonderful protein and still even though they are going up in price in the store, its a pretty good deal on the pocketbook!

    Thanks for starting this blog, DeeAnne, whatta swell idea!
    Your Minnesota extended extended family--smile
    Renea
    January 7, 2012 8:50 PM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll just throw out there that we cook about 90% gluten free at our house, and still maintain a fairly average (about $250 a week for 7 people eating all meals and snacks from home - that's about $5 per person per day for 3 meals an at least 2 snacks per person, which I consider to be pretty good/average) food budget. It means you have to for go a lot of the gluten free "convenience" items and make a lot of things from scratch, but it can be done without breaking the bank. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great when you think off all the people you are feeding! And I am sure you are offering lots of fresh produce. I have had parents argue with me they can't feed anything but Ramen noodles and hot dogs to their students and I should stop teaching the kids in my classroom nutrition because I don't pay their grocery bill. I am not going to argue with a parent of a student, but I know beans are a powerhouse, considered a protein and cheaper than a pack of hot dogs....and Ramen, we do it, but call it souped up Ramen and add some quality produce scrambled egg, and oyster sauce, ect. and just overall we are aware that it needs to be an occasional thing because it is just junk!!!

    ReplyDelete