Thursday, January 31, 2013

Not Mac N Cheese!!!!



Little Time +Little Money + Little Kids = LOTS of mac N cheese, among other easy foods, but READ THIS!


ttp://www.honeycolony.com/article/13-banned-foods-still-allowed-in-the-u-s/


If you are short on time to read, the basic premise of it is that US is behind many other developed countries standards when it comes to food additive safety, putting profits above health.
But, of course, health trumps time and money when it comes to little kids!!!
Parents concerned about the health of their children may want to read this article.  It wouldn't hurt to verify accuracy, but many of these additives are repeats I have heard before, and would be best to avoid them.  I am planning on making a list of these 15 and going through the cupboards to note which items have them that I usually buy and looking for substitutes.  The worst offender for our family? MAC N CHEESE! It is one of our "go-to" foods.  I am going to attempt to develop a homemade recipe I can put together for my little kids.  Hopefully I can make it taste close to the real deal!

A bit off the topic, but to avoid a rant about the health of Mac N Cheese, please read on. Mac N Cheese alone is NOT a meal for my children.  Just to clarify, I will have used Mac as a staple but add to the  plates fresh veggies and fruit, basically balancing out processed foods with additions of fresh food.  I have never considered the processed foods as unsafe, though (although I knew it was not healthy) and really need to start studying food labels more closely when considering they may be unsafe.

Just what parents need, more to worry about!  (insert sarcasm here)

Please add in our comments healthy food substitutes that can help us all avoid these additives but consider the "little money" aspect, too!  I will add ideas I have as I try to rid our house of this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment