Friday, January 27, 2012

uggg, sorry so long between posts!

Last weekend was a "too little" nightmare.  My trusty 2001 Kia Sephia bit the dust (or so we thought) and my husband and I spent the weekend/and week! trying to fix it, car shopping, applying for car loans (boooooo), sharing a car and stressing over where the money was going to come from.  I cannot tell you how this made me feel, I spent my days adding, subtraction, and reworking our family budget in my head without resorting to cutting off our cable or eating a diet of (soley) ramen.  For YEARS I have been at war against debt, trying desperately to escape some expensive mistakes of my ( and my husband's!) youth.  I was determined to pay off the debt we had and not bring in any new debts. That is easier said than done, for sure. I envy those debt-free families we hear  about on the Clark Howard Show, and certainly aspire to that goal!!!! However, being a one-car family is just not for me (although it would fit my budget!). I mean, it was fun to have a chauffer (husband!) for a few days, I majorly missed car freedom (aka, leaving work when I wanted to, not when Todd was there for my pick up!) We had succumbed to sign on the dotted line.... The time was near to chain ourselves down to another payment, but in an unexpected turn of events, a $2.99 (not a typo, we almost spent $15,000 we didn't have instead of the chump change auto part!!!)  fuel injector O-ring (picked up the part myself! I am woman, hear me roar) reincarnated the no-longer dead vehicle.  So now, I can continue to have a dream, that one day my family will have NO DEBT!  However, that dream might die when the Kia REALLY bites the dust.......

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you did not have to buy a new car! I do not know what I would do if we had to use one vehicle. I just can't wait to have my van paid in full! It would be so nice not to have that car payment every month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We currently have one car payment, but we are about 6 months away from paying it off (possibly paying earlier when our taxes are done). We had been hoping to buy a new (to us, not brand new!) car with cash, but every time we save a chunk of cash, something comes up and we need to use it for something else. I am happy we have some more time before buying, however. I think I should "save" what that car payment would have been every month, act like we DID buy the new car, and sock away that cash for part of the next car, because inevitably, the Kia will die at some point in the not so far away future. If we make it 4 months before we have to buy, for example, that would be $1600 we could put down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We paid off one car a couple years ago and still have one other payment (our van). That won't be going away for awhile, but I just wonder how we paid the TWO payments at one time! (then I remember I made ALOT more money in RI as a teacher and John was making more money, too). Times sure change :)

    ReplyDelete