Friday, January 6, 2012

Breakfast That Saves Time AND Money (and makes my kiddos HAPPY!)

Tonight, the menu at the house was breakfast for dinner! Delicious and nutritious--and a money saver. Plus my kids actually EAT it.   Yesterday, I found an extension of this idea in a book called "Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half" by Steve and Annette Economides (The book was the Daily Deal on Barnes and Noble.com...$3.40 for my Nook!).  The back of the book has a section of recipes, including "Steve's Killer Pancakes".  It includes a great pancake recipe that A. Makes ALOT of pancakes B. Boosts the nutritional value by including whole wheat fiber C. Tastes good, too! Really!!  My husband and I preceded to cook bunches and bunches of pancakes, let them cool, and stack them, freeze them (per book's directions) to later reheat them.  My kids LOVE Eggo Waffles, so I am hoping these will be a hit and for a small fraction of the price.

4 comments:

  1. I think that is fantastic! I love making breakfast for dinner and do so at least once a month. It is also great when you can make stuff and freeze it to use later. I love quick and easy meals that are already done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't want to plagiarize their recipe, so I gave credit to the authors, but what was great was they used some white flour, some whole wheat flour to make it a bit healthier (but still inexpensive) and they suggested adding almond extract, which I think make the sawdusty taste of the whole wheat flour almost disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having laying chickens we have breakfast almost any meal--smile. Chilizo and eggs with corn tortillas and hominy and oranges is a very cheap meal too, a meal we have for supper!

    Also skillet breakfast with fried potatoes sausage and eggs. Cook seperatly then combine in a stir fry fashion and top with cheese and serve w/salsa

    We like pancakes and eggs too for supper--and the fact that you can make so many to freeze for later is great (btw my 8 yr old can fix pancakes on our electric skillet---so teach those young 'ens! What a blessing they are to us! And what child doesnt like to feel useful!)

    Fried Egg sandwiches , egg salad sand, tuna salad with boiled egg chopped in, sandwiches or on a salad are all good and healthy--and cheap! We even make ramon and crack an egg into it and zap it in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes. These are lunch choices.

    Being a one income family can sure bring out the creative side in ya! Eggs are a wonderful protein and still even though they are going up in price in the store, its a pretty good deal on the pocketbook!

    Thanks for starting this blog, DeeAnne, whatta swell idea!
    Your Minnesota extended extended family--smile
    Renea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your ideas Renea! I am tempted to repost them under today's post about you CAN afford to eat healthy! I actually was thinking today my next house needs to have room for chickens, because we buy so many eggs!!! Many of these meal ideas are great! When you say hominy do you mean grits? Grits are great and cheap too! ohh, and old fashioned oatmeal....breakfast for a month at $2 a canister :) But really and truly, having the kids in on some process of the food is excellent. Kayleigh is our before dinner helper, and Danica is after...Levi is too little, but as soon as he can comprehend, "set the table" he will be in the helping out the family club! Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete