Wednesday, May 7, 2014

It's Like You Get Paid to Clean

I know I have posted before about cleaning out things actually saving your money...cleaning your fridge will have provide a few goodies you forgot you had, cupboards are like a bank account of food, and digging through your closet can be nearly as good as shopping.  Today, my husband discovered the power of cleaning out his man space in a side room to the house we have as an outdoor storage room of sorts.  Crazy circumstances led to this...my younger daughter caught a horrendous stomach bug and was at the point even water wouldn't stay down.  Typically when the kids are sick, it makes more sense financially for me to stay home because I have oodles of personal time saved up I will likely never use.  However, I have had a crazy influx of substitute teachers in my classroom in the past month due to a jury duty summons, fabulous family visitors from out-of-state, my husband needing a driver to an invasive procedure, and dentist appointments.  I truly needed to be at work today.  So we bit the bullet, and my husband stayed home, likely shrinking his next paycheck.  Our competitors in the VyStar Money Makeover are probably not sweating going up against us at this point.  I asked my husband to see what he could do to help today, in between nursing our little girl.  However, he made me a happy woman when I came home to see what he had done! As he organized his stuff, he was able to locate things we already had, that we needed, but had lost in the shuffle (and properly put them where they belong so they can do their job.)  His hidden gems of the day:

  • New weather stripping he found for the door---the old stripping was torn away by a frisky cat trying to claw his way into the house.  This could be double valuable, as no need to buy again, and replacing seals the house better for air conditioning season.  He also hung this with his time today.
  • New refrigerator bulbs were hanging out in there too, forgotten about---somewhat silly, but our fridge has a lot of bulbs and it was so nice to have the ice and water dispenser lit again.
  • Hose for a pressure washer---Nice score, I was actually imagining we might have to go buy another (after the money challenge of course) after buying a replacement hose a week or so ago didn't work.  There was a random loose hose there and in an amazing feat it actually FIT our pressure washer.  Bonus: Hubby USED the newly fixed pressure washer to clean the sidewalk up to the house AND the door mat cleaned up well (saving me from spending another $12 at Target to buy new).
Ok, wives, this might need to be a honey-do list for you to add for your men!  Clean out the outdoor storage spaces!

No comments:

Post a Comment