Monday, January 28, 2013

Goodwill Destiny

Goodwill destiny happened today...I was desperate to find one of my favorite children's books, "No, David!" by David Shannon for a writing lesson I wanted to teach at school.  This book has been a fav of each of my children through the years and our well worn copy had probably bit the dust, as I couldn't find it anywhere. As I arrived at work, I bee-lined for a Kindergarten classroom, just knowing they would have to have it!  Luckily, she did, and the lesson was a total hit!  However, I was plotting to go re-buy the book so I could always have it at my beck and call, and my five-year-old was already begging to keep the borrowed copy.  After picking up my kids from school and daycare, we decided to hit Goodwill on the way home for a little treasure hunting. Yes, I do that often (had even done it quickly yesterday!).  Yesterday, was a bit of a dud, but today (different store...by work rather than home) was kismet! A hard-bound copy of No, David! sat on the shelf...$1 !  I also found 3 more hard cover kids books by great authors in new condition ($3), a Children's Place T for my daughter (barely worn), Jones New York shirt, with tags, for $4, nice brain teaser book for me ($1), Ballerina girl doll ($1) and an electronic train ($1...huge surprise when we came home, with 2 D batteries, that thing FLEW around our house, and had a light!) and one more item, a Sterlight ornament holder that fits under our bed, new for $3) Grand Total - $17! If you don't Goodwill, you are so missing out!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That is the BEST feeling... to be able to find exactly what you're looking for when you head to Goodwill. Usually it's a treasure hunt, which I love, but there's nothing like walking right over to the shelf and grabbing what you need! Nice scores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodwill is my absolute favorite "chain" thrift store. And you're exactly right - it's just like treasure hunting! Sounds like you found the right treasure map. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be so fun to have a thrifty Thursday post and post our best finds of the week! I have not been this week, but there is a HUGE children's consignment sale happening on Friday I am planning on shopping. Plus, Saturday is the last day of the sale, so most items are half off!!!! Finders Keepers is the name of the sale if you are in Jacksonville Area, at the Morocco Shrine.

    ReplyDelete