Sunday, February 12, 2012

Turning Point

I just ate a big old piece of Humble Pie.  Remember a few weeks back when my daughter was "impressed" with me for giving a homeless man money? Something that may not come through about me on my blog is I do like to give to the less fortunate, and have a hard time passing by homeless men on the streets without giving them a dollar (and once, I gave a man in the grocery store a $10---he was buying fruit and no liquor and I just had to). It is something I remember doing even as a young teenager.  Even if I know they are going to go buy a beer with it, it doesn't really bother me because frankly, if I were sleeping on the streets I think I would need a beer to fall asleep.  My church does a lot of homeless outreach, and today was a big event day with free medical screenings, haircuts, massages, and job placement for homeless people.  Of course, I was thrilled to volunteer.  But it never is quite what I expect.  First of all, it was hard to tell the difference between many of the volunteers and guests.  The number of homeless women and children is staggering.  Of course, people of the street have a very different look from the large number of technically homeless who live in hotels or with relatives, ect. But secondly, I was stunned to be told by one of the organizations leaders I need to stop giving them money as they stand with a sign on the street.  I can buy them Mc.D's or a cool drink (non-alcoholic, of course) on a hot day; but giving them cash when such a large number (on the street) are addicted to drugs and alcohol just fuels they addictions enabling them to stay clouded and foggy (as opposed to clear-thinking, which could get them working or connected with families who only take them in if they are clean.  This is going to be very hard for me to do.  They are people, and I cannot, will not ignore them. Maybe I will start offering them a stick of sugarless gum or something?  I know this is not the normal norm of my blog, but it today was  such a good reminder for me  that is we live free of addictions with our families' love; we are incredibly rich and truly don't need anything more.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah Deanna, I know how you feel. When I moved to Victoria there was so many homeless people I couldn't afford to give them all money so I just packed extra snack bags when I went to work and gave those instead. Always grateful everything helps a little. Who knows it might be all they ate that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I would think they would freeze up there! I have offered granola bars before, but was turned down on them many times, so I stopped offering. But I suppose it is an excuse to at least offer them conversation, which they might be as hungry for as food.

    ReplyDelete