Monday, February 27, 2012

Holy Guacamole!

Word of advice, look at your pay stub!  Out of sheer curiosity, I pulled out my husband and my latest pay stubs tonight.  We are very close in pay scale, and I was expecting to see similar deductions in terms of taxes, social security, and medicare.  But I didn't!  We realized tonight, hubby hasn't adjusted his withholding since years before we were married (almost 7 years ago!) We married, had a kid, then had another, and never changed the status!?!  Granted, our tax returns are quite huge (nice) BUT, we really need the money in our budget NOW, not in a year.  When I looked at his total withholding for the current year (less than 2 months in...) his withholding was $1000!  Compared to mine, which was $250.  Ummmm....So glad I had a moment to look at the stubs tonight, and I am uber-curious (AKA excited to see his next paycheck with adequate withholding for a family of 5!)  Any tips or advice on how to choose what to claim, happily post away below!

1 comment:

  1. By the way, he was claiming Married, but withhold at the higher single rate with 2 deductions. I am claiming married with 4 deductions.

    ReplyDelete