Saturday, February 11, 2012

Super "Super Foods"

For years, I have read about so-called "Super Foods" that fight cancer, obesity, and improve your overall health.  Many of the foods on that list are things I actually LOVE, and if money were not an object, I would be thrilled to fill my family (and myself) with foods from the list because frankly they are DELICIOUS! According to the WebMD website

Top Superfoods Offering Super Health Protection


  • Beans
  • Blueberries
  • Broccoli
  • Oats
  • Oranges
  • Pumpkin
  • Salmon
  • Soy
  • Spinach
  • Tea (green or black)
  • Tomatoes
  • Turkey
  • Walnuts
  • Yogurt

Many of these foods, I can and do eat and feed my family often (beans, oranges, tomatoes, and yogurt) but others I LOVE but can't afford to put in my grocery cart every weekend (I was drooling over the salmon today at the store...but $23 for the package would have put my bill up to $160 total!) and OATS?! I had not realized they were so great.  I have a huge can of them, and they are cheap, time to recipe search on what to do with them so I can pump my kids full of their super-food powers (post any recipes with oats in the comments below if you have one!)
For YEARS, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries had been park of that second category.  My kids LOVE THEM (ewww, some bad diapers after overdosing) but I didn't love the price tag ($3 or more on a teeny little pack my kids would eat in less than 24 hours).  We tried the U Pick Blueberries at the blueberry patch (which we love, and will continue to do when they are in season)  but there was no inexpensive way to score the berries during most of the year.  Perhaps I am just a little stubborn.  I had read hundreds of times to try the frozen fruit route, but I imagined tasteless blobs of goo posing as fruit. Luckily, at times, I am an impulse shopper.  The 48 oz. bag of triple berries lingered before my eyes.  I considered the Fruit and Yogurt Parfait sold at McDonald's and thought, I could try the same idea at home. Rather than buying my children Go-Gurt (which they love!) I bought a tub of ordinary vanilla yogurt (super food too! See list!!!) to go with it and whipped the fruit and yogurt together for a bedtime snack.  Absolutely, a delicious, nutritious, and inexpensive treat! $2.99 per pound at Sam's Club for the triple berry 48 oz. bag. Also, Target has their's on sale for a bit more ($9.99 for a 48oz. bag) this week if you don't have a club membership.  So if you are like me, and never attempted the frozen berries...you are missing out for real! Try it!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I have had a few of my family members tell me they couldn't figure out how to post comments on my blog. Any ideas on what they could be doing wrong? Below is a post from my facebook link to this topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recipe for Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup...sounds interesting...let me know what you think if you try it, ABSOLUTELY a source of some SuperFoods!

      ‎3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes 1/4 cup butter 1 1/4 cups chopped onion 4 cloves garlic, chopped 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 4 cups beef broth 1 (15 ounce) pumpkin 1/2 pound cubed cooked ham

      Delete
  2. Today, made mega-super-food healthy Chili!!!

    4 oz. tofu crumbled (SOY!!! Can't even taste it, don't worry!)
    8 oz. ground beef
    1/2 cup diced red onion
    1/4 cup diced green pepper
    1/2 cup tomato paste
    Splash EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
    Chili Powder (to taste)
    Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
    Cumin (to taste)
    salt and pepper
    1 can diced tomatoes (another Super food)
    1 can dark red kidney beans (and yet another Super food!)

    Saute onion and pepper in EVOO with salt and pepper sprinkled. Add ground beef until cooked well. Move to saucepan, add all other ingredients and simmer until served.

    It was delicious, and I made enough to have a few lunch servings this week as well. Chili is one of those rare foods that is actually better after sitting in the fridge a day or two.

    ReplyDelete