Saturday, February 11, 2012

Cleaning for Less

Absolutely, few things feel better than a clean house!!! This week has been fast-paced, non-stop, and I have been trying to sneak in pockets of cleaning time.  My house suffers as the calendar fills up!  Multi-tasking is essential.  My favorites are folding laundry while catching up on DVR ed shows, dishes and countertops while chatting on the phone, and bathroom cleanup while my children bathe.  Could I use a cleaning lady? YES! Can I afford one?? NO!  Maybe someday, but for now, I try to maintain the budget as well as a clean house.  I have been experimenting with cleaning supplies on the cheap.  Most of these are also eco-friendly (which is a bonus, I don't have to stress as much about kids touching them).  For floors (I have Mohawk Laminate) I have been making a bucket of hot water and white vinegar (a disinfectant) and scrubbing with cheap shams from the Dollar Tree.  The shams can be washed for repeated use, and even clip onto a Swiffer (I was sick of buying those expensive pads).  As an all-purpose cleaner, an empty spray bottle (found at the Dollar Tree as well) with one tablespoon of Borax (Walmart, under $3 for a large box), 1/4 cup of white vinegar, hot water to fill and a dash of dishsoap at the end.  I use this to spray down my flattop stove, counter tops, appliances, table and chairs.  And the price is practically free!  Maybe $0.25 a spray bottle? Toilets are trickier, you can scrub with baking soda , but I am still stuck on my toxic Lysol and Lysol wipes.  If I find a better alternative, I will post it, but I think germ killing is of the essence here!  I have been reading through a book called, "Green Clean" including vinegar, citrus, and baking soda and trying many of the ideas.  You wouldn't believe all the things you can do with vinegar (and is is under $2 for a large jug!) Post any multi-tasks or cleaning on the cheap tips here! I am off to scrub the dinner dishes...

2 comments:

  1. Those are great ideas! I will have to try some of them. I do use a steam mop for my hard floors as I like that it only uses water and gets the floors nice and clean. I have also heard that you can clean your carpet with vinegar instead of soap. It is suppose to not leave a residue that will cause the carpets to get dirty faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! We are replacing our flooring in the living room and hallways soon, and it is carpet now, but I think I would like to do a porceline tile that looks like a hard wood. It is expensive (almost $4 a square foot) but I think it would wear incredibly well, clean easily, and be indestructible basically.

    ReplyDelete