Friday, March 28, 2014

MyFitnessPal, No Pals Allowed

Seriously, what is WRONG with me!  My New Year's resolution for this year was to log every day on myfitnesspal---not to stay under my calorie guideline, just to DO it! I could eat all day long, log in 3000 calories and still be completing my resolution. And it lasted all of three days at the most. The app on my smartphone is quick, easy, and INCREDIBLY EFFECTIVE for losing weight. However, I know the power of the app. If you record what you eat, you will make better food choices.  If you have a calorie budget, you will try to stay within it.  I wasn't ready in January, so when I wanted to go over my calories out at a restaurant or relaxing on a Saturday with great friends, I just didn't log my food intake. The band wagon had been jumped off.
BUT a recent shakeup in my life, dreading swimsuit shopping, and feeling unattractive is going to lure me back in.  I have been exercising well, my whole life really---I enjoy exercise.  And I enjoy food. Apparently I enjoy it more than exercise.  Experts say your quest to lose weight is 80% diet 20% exercise.  So doing great with exercise is only 20% of the results.  Yes, it is time to get serious about my diet.
My best friend recently signed up for Advocare.  She spent almost $200, and lost just under 6 lbs.  She is happy with the results, but I just can't part with that much cash.
Another friend signed up for Weight Watchers. I have always heard great things about this program, so I looked up the cost. It is still $30/month for the online program.  More affordable, but still not ready to spend that much.
I will be sticking with MyFitnessPal. There is an online version for computers users, and I love the easy app on my phone. It is completely free and when I stick to the calorie goals, it does work.  You can even connect with other friends on the program so you can have people keep you accountable, but I have kept my food intake private---less overzealous friends criticize my choice for  an inch or so of last night's french dip for breakfast or tells me I should put less cream in my coffee. Yes, this diet thing will certainly be good for me....

2 comments:

  1. I "use" that app too. And by use, I mean I have it on my phone and computer but have not opened the app in a long time. I too need to spend a little time on myself and do the right thing. Thanks for sharing. It is good to know that I am not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever had results from it? I lost a good 10 pounds using it about a year ago, and gained back about 2 of the pounds this year. I was losing a good half of a pound regularly every week. I need to remember it WORKS and is FREE and is super QUICK and EASY! I actually thought about posting my starting weight on this blog to keep me accountable to revisiting the topic in a week or two. However, I am not sure everyone can handle that number, because I can't, Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete