Tuesday, March 20, 2012

How to Spend Spring Break, Without Spending All You've Got!

This week is DEFINITELY a big perk to being a teacher!  As a teen, I can remember my mom asking me what I wanted to be and I said, "a mom".  PROBABLY not the answer she expected, but I knew at a young age I wanted to have a family of my own.  My reality sank in a few years later when I realized being a mom was GREAT, but having money to take care of your family is kindof necessary to really enjoy your family.  What job would be perfect for a mom who had to work, but wanted to put her family first?  A TEACHER!!!  Of course, before I became a teacher, I didn't realize how often my classroom and its students were going to become a priority over my own children; but when push comes to shove, I can put my children first.  But this week, there is no choice to make! It is my kids first, all week long!  So, what is the problem? That pesky budget keeps me from doing what I REALLY would want to go do with my kids this week (i.e., vacation, or Disney, shopping spree...something new and great each day) and forces me to into a REALITY.  What can the kids and I have a blast doing, without going broke?
*Playgrounds
*Library
*Friends' houses
*Zoo (we have a membership)
*Arts and Crafts
*Cooking/Baking
*Cleaning (ok, more fun for me....but I really enjoy it!!!!)
Today we are setting out for AC Moore (Arts and Crafts store) to treasure hunt for some fun crafts we can create together, followed by McDonald's Playland (We will just order a snack, apple dippers , drink, just enough to not be lurkers or loiterers).
Tomorrow, we will be hitting the zoo with a picnic lunch (our membership makes this FREE!)
Thursday, LIBRARY, and paint shopping for my teenager's room (she will be busy painting Friday)
Friday, helping big sister paint (They will actually enjoy this, I promise!!!!)

Dream Vacation...ummm, no.  Realistic Vacation is more like it! But we are having fun, and making the most of what we have.  Please post any other ideas you have that are fun for the kids and attainable for those with a budget!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE reading this nearly two years later! Funny, not much has changed!!! I am daydreaming about my upcoming spring break daily now, although there is a bit of a obstacle that is raining on my parade....I have a jury duty summons for my first day of spring break! I had a sense of humor about it, although my assistant principal at school was appalled, hissing, "That's not FUNNY!" I think it is so out of my control and ironic there is not much to do but laugh (that and try to get my self excused via writing and phone calls, of course---a little loophole about children under six, which I happen to have)
    If all goes well, I am hoping to do many of the same things...zoo (still have that membership), library, picnics, parks, ect. for a low to no price tag.
    However, IF I can squeeze a bit of money out for some fun, there is always our new family favorite hotel. Coco Key in Orlando boasts a semi-indoor/semi-outdoor water park for a fair price. We have been there twice now and it is well worth the $120 or so for the night. Hotel guests are allowed to use the resort the day of arrival AND departure. Considering we bring four or five of us, it is like paying $25/person for the two days of water fun and hotel. We pack a cooler with drinks, snacks, and try to limit the eating out. But, the world's largest McDonald's is within walking distance so an inexpensive meal is easy to access, too. Yes, I am hoping I can swing a night in Orlando Spring Break 2014!!!!!

    ReplyDelete