Thursday, March 5, 2015

Party Planning

    Ahhhh, I am officially sitting down to relax for the first time today!  Little time crept in today with a shopping trip for a dog bed (is that a need or want...? we LOVE our fur babies) and a quick run through Publix for fresh fruit for healthy snacks.  Thankfully, I cooked dinner in the CrockPot, so I was able to stay out of the kitchen for a while and squeeze more into my day.
    What seems to be creeping into my mind daily is my kid who is not little.   Our oldest "child" is actually not a child at all at age 18, and t-minus 3 months until graduation.  I am so excited for this event and we have some fab friends and family making the trek to celebrate with us!  Party!!
     I want to celebrate this achievement with no stress of money nor forced cutting of corners, although I am budgeting this will cost a small treasure. How am I tackling this? Gift card stockpiling!
     Each time we get paid, although we are pulling money for retirement accounts and transferring money into savings, I try to save one more way. I grab a gift card to the grocery store and put $30 or $40 on it. Then I bring it home and tuck it away in my safe spot.  My goal is $400 in gift cards by graduation. If we happen to not need them all, we will have no problem easing our summer budget using the rest on regular grocery shopping.  This seems to be an easy, simple way to save for bigger events without mixing the money in a bank account so it is clearly designated for it's purpose.
    Please post your thoughts on this or any other methods to prep for big parties and events!

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting plan. Looking forward to your post on how it works out.

    ReplyDelete