Friday, April 6, 2012

A Tisket, A Tasket, What's in your kid's Easter Basket???

Where are my holiday junkies out there? There must be some like me out there!  I love traditions, even though admittedly some get in the way of holidays true significance.  It is my job to teach my children the difference of what we do for fun (Easter baskets, egg hunts, bunnies, chicks, ect.) and the true significance of each holiday (for Easter, we teach the holiday is celebrated as a reminder of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus).  A few thoughts to consider as you are putting together baskets for your children this Easter....
1. Do they need a new basket every year? Can you reuse a basket from last year?  Or could you use another container as their basket? For example, I considered using a bathtub toy bin for my son, a cute lunch tote for my teen, or a bin or basket that could be used after Easter to organize in a bedroom or bathroom.
2. What is going inside?  I know candy  is popular and inexpensive, my children will have some, BUT the true cost of candy should include what it will do to their body and their teeth.  I will be putting a SMALL selection of candy in each basket, but do not want it to be the main event.  I use Easter Baskets as a fun way to give a new book, hair things, bubble bath, art supplies. It might be a bit of a cheat, but it is just a good excuse to give my children something I want them to have anyways!
3. Start early. Like the day after Easter, start your stash for next year (not candy) like egg decorating kits, or a new basket if you need it.  I constantly pick up inexpensive finds and hide them in my closet for the next holidays to come (Yes, I have already begun Christmas stockpiling)
Please comment on any other Easter basket thoughts or ideas for us to share! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Since one of our toddlers is now potty-trained this week, she's getting some fun new undies from Grandma in her basket, and it will save US money! :) We've also picked out a few $5 children's DVDs over the past few months to throw in there, and I'll pick up the girls' favorite toothpaste to add, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We not only re-use the same basket every year, we also re-use the plastic eggs we put treats in. We fill about 1/2 the eggs with candy and the other half with quarters from our change jar. Inexpensive for us and she loves it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your posts, I have had so many people complain they can't make comments on this (or don't know how...?)So I am just going to copy and paste the comments from my facebook link here. And if you would like to add to the discussion, please feel free! Remember, we are judgement-free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Jennifer B via FB Since my husband gave his life to the Lord, 12 years ago on Easter, he realized he grew up celebrating the wrong reasons for Christmas and Easter. We were both very convicted on making sure we focus on the real reasons for the day. For Easter we have never used the bunny reference, nor do they get Easter baskets. We have baskets they use for egg hunts, but we use the significance of the empty plastic egg to represent the empty tomb of Jesus. We still dye eggs, but those are for decorating the table for Easter dinner. We are careful not to judge any friends or family that choose to celebrate differently, because we know our convictions are our own. We have also made the agreement with grandma that she is allowed to get one small gift per child instead of the huge candy filled baskets she used to try to give them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Jessica P via FB My kids get baskets but we do use the same ones every year. I am like you DeeAnne and don't put a lot of candy and even what I do put in doesn't all get eaten (I still have some above my fridge from last year that is about to be tossed). We don't go overboard with what is in the basket, our main focus is on why we celebrate Easter. We have studied Holy Week in our bible study this week so the kids know what each day signifies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Chevy B via FB I agree DeeAnne. I have used the same baskets for years! They are the same ones I got when I was pregnant with Kevin and I used them to decorate and hold items in the nursery. It just so happened that I had 3 of them and now I have 3 kids. We still have Halloween candy in the house, so I am not giving them a bunch of candy. Instead they will get some fun art supplies, maybe some playdough or whatever else I have found over the last few months. We talk about the true meaning of Easter, so there are no big expecations of an Easter bunny bringing them goodies.

    ReplyDelete