Thursday, April 5, 2012

The "Great" American Road Trip

I was an extremely fortunate little traveler as a kid....although my dad took me frequently to California and Mexico (occasionally in First Class, spoiled!) I have just as many fond memories of myself squeezed in a teeny Dodge Colt with my mom and our family of 7.  The car was so small, I had to sit in the hatchback WITH my stepsister, sitting backwards for what felt like endless miles.  My mom is probably cringing when she reads this, but I will reassure you all (MOM!) it was great fun and I think I complained out of childishness and not harm!  Lunch on the road consisted of a budget. My stepdad and mom would give a number, and we had to stick to it, no ifs, and, or buts (it was a far cry from the swordfish I was served in first class, but we were being taught some important lessons...
1. Who cares what you eat, if you are fed, you are fine!
2. The memories are in the PEOPLE, not in what you did 
3.  Live your life within your means, no matter how meager
4.  Whatever your budget, you can have a vacation with your children. And you all can have fun. PERIOD.

There were times our trip consisted of a trip to a beach, or camping (LOTS of camping) or a weekend at grandparents. Yet still, I could write a novel of the family fun that was had on those trips.

Now our plans are in the works for our annual summer trip to Minnesota to visit our families.  My bank account looks more like my mom's did when I was a child, so we are working hard to act our WAGE and not bust the budget on our trip.  Here are a few things I am beginning right now to get the max for the minimum (thank you TJ MAXX) on our summer trip.

1.  Of course, the gas calculator...how much needed to get there and back multiplied by $5 which could be our price per gallon this summer...AND where the $ for gas is coming from. We also try to fill up at Sam's Club (saves around $2/ fillup) and buy any gas cards we can find at a discount for other national chains.
2.  Lodging expenses...where to stay (if possible, how much you estimate it to be, and where the money comes from)
3. Food...One of the most difficult parts of the road trip.  We pack a large cooler for cool drinks, produce, hard boiled eggs, sandwiches...yet still treat ourselves to one meal out a day on the road so we don't turn into sandwiches. We also start collecting fast food coupons a month before the trip in case that is where we stop.  I am also cashing in my Coke points for coupons for free Coke products for those times you just are craving something cold, sweet, and different on the road (My mom calls them Emergency Cokes, haha).
4. Activities...we take time looking on the map of our route and computer and create a list of interesting things close to our course.  This is a way to maximize your gas budget,by multitasking your route to final destination with some fun detours.  This year, we are traveling with a list from our local zoo of all the US Zoos that will reduce our admissions since we are members at our zoo. Redbox movies are also great for passing the time in the car since you can pick up and drop of hundreds of miles later.

Please comment on any other tidbits you can offer to travel comfortably at a price you can afford. THANKS FOR READING!!!

1 comment:

  1. http://dodge-gmc.tk/dodge-colt.html JUST IN CASE you don't remember the Dodge Colt...ours was red, but looked just like this...with 7 people inside :) Our extended family called it the clown car, haha.

    ReplyDelete