Monday, January 28, 2013

The Dishwasher Debacle (AKA Dishwasher Envy)

About a month ago, our dishwasher mysteriously lost power one day, and ceased to work.  I had my extremely handy hubby (great for saving $$$ Single ladies, find a handy hubby if you can!) check it out, but he was stumped. Then I talked to my daughter's friend's dad who is an appliance repair man, but nope, nothing worked. Dishes for this family of five, who like to eat and bake and cook, is no joke.  My sister and her crew of five even came from out of state for a long weekend and we HAND WASHED for all 10 of us ( AND ate all our meals at home, or on a picnic we had packed at home...frugalistas we are!) spending HOURS of the vacay at the sink. Uggg. Soon after she departed, hubby says enough is enough and heads to Lowe's where he found a BEAUTIFUL dishwasher marked down from $450 to $314.  He was tempted to bite at that, but my money saver spouse kept going, claiming he wouldn't use the free delivery and asking for another $75 off instead.  Sweet, sweet deal for about $250. That would have been the happy end to this post with a picture to boot, but then....as he is uninstalling our "broken" dishwasher, he realizes it is not so broken anymore and is simply a loose wire!!! At first, I am pretty happy with that, $250 saved. And then, I made the "mistake". Out of curiosity I opened the bargain dishwasher.  Envy set it. It was so nice, silvery on the inside, deeper baskets, and silverware in the door.  Energy efficient, and more features.What to do? Should it stay or should it go now???  If it stays there would be trouble ($250 from our already skimpy budget) if it goes there may be double ( I will miss that thing, BAD! Plus, couldn't I recoup some of the $$ selling our "fixed" dishwasher and on all the electric/water bill savings?)  In the end, boooo, I had to return it. Yes, it was hard, I wanted to be vain and selfish and keep that awesome thing.  But reason won out, and someday I will have a broken dishwasher with an actual reason to be replaced.  When that happens, beautiful dishwasher deals better watch out!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is, but like Dave Ramsey says, we have to live like no one else now, to live like no one else later ;)

    ReplyDelete