Sunday, January 8, 2012

MUST SPLURGE!

We are not America's Cheapest Family (and we don't want to be!) My Dad had a great philosophy about money, he said, "There is always more money to be made." meaning, enjoy your money!  My Mom had a great one too, "You can spend it any way you want, but you can only spend it once."  My divorced parents were the ultimate money yin and yangs.  COMPLETE opposites. Both parents formed my money mentality, per se, although as you can see from my blog--my mom had a lot more pull in this area!  The point is, we all need to splurge on a few things that we can truly appreciate; but I would never want to splurge to the point my needs (or my family's needs) did not get met.  One man's splurge is another man's bargain!  Today, after church, Kayleigh saw a heavenly sight.  Dairy Queen looming right next to our church parking lot.  "Mommy, I was a good girl at church. Can I have ice cream?"  The angel on my shoulder said, "Certainly it would be cheaper to buy a carton at the grocery store and bring it home instead...." The devil, "Oh, just spend your hard earned money on Dairy Queen. It will make Kayleigh happy".  I pulled into the drive through line, not sure what I was going to order.  Then, I remembered, doesn't Dairy Queen sell ice cream by the pint? We have chocolate syrup, caramel, and strawberries at home.....So today our "splurge" (that many will argue was not a splurge!) was $3.20 worth of plain vanilla Dairy Queen ice cream brought  home to enjoy.  We all enjoyed it, and still have leftovers!  Go ahead, comment away, tease me if you want.....what are your "splurges" others won't consider a splurge?

2 comments:

  1. Here's an interesting tip about our DQ: my mom always buys the pints or quarts of what we would call "ice milk" from DQ. Did you know that by buying her's at the DQ on Blanding, instead of Kingsley, she saved over $3.00!!! (on the same size!!!) Just an FYI ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My splurge is my make up & lotions & shampoo. MUST have them! It goes a long way for my mood if I allow myself these splurges! Congrats on getting away from DQ with such a small bill!!!! I never could have done that!

    ReplyDelete